George Walford: Editorial Notes
ANNOUNCEMENT: We have written to the Socialist Party of Great Britain inviting them to debate the question: IS CAPITALISM BETTER THAN SOCIALISM? (Readers of IC will recall the very special senses in which this party uses those words). It is hoped to hold the debate during the latter. of April in a convenient location near central London. Further details to follow.
– – –
IN DECEMBER 1905 R.B.Haldane, one of the more prominent Victorian Hegelians, was appointed Secretary of State for War. “When he talked of re-fashioning the army, the generals asked him what sort of’an army he had in mind. ‘Hegelian,’ he teplied. ‘It proved a discussion stopper.'” (Byron Farwell, For Queen and Country 1981 p. 163)
– – –
“A WATCHDOG group is to be set up by Haringey council in an attempt to stamp out sex discrimination in the borough’s affairs. ‘It will consist entirely of women.” (Hornsey Journal, 8 Oct 82)
– – –
HEGEL SAID:”The reasonable is the actual and the actual is the reasonable.” He left us to find out what is actual.
– – –
WE RECENTLY heard a debate between the “Socialist” Party and a Christian. A principal theme of the “socialist” speaker was that it is human nature to co-operate. The party for which he was speaking declares itself “determined to wage war against all other political parties.”
from Ideological Commentary 17, March 1985.
- PSI Circular Number Two (February 1979)
- PSI Circular Number One (January 1979)
- Joshua Feldman: Reconceptualising (systematic) Ideology in the Wake of Political Psychology
- George Walford and Ike Benjamin: The Sad Case of the SPGB
- Linda Sloane: Systematic Ideology and Identity / The Triangle of Society, Ideology and the Individual
- Their “Operation Utopia”
- George Orwell Letters to George Walford
- George Walford: The New Magic
- George Walford: Exploring Ideology
- George Walford: Sciences